One day after having half a butternut squash in my fridge, I decided to experiment. I’ve roasted butternut squash before and it has a very nice buttery flavor. That being said, I developed this recipe on my own, making it unique to me and well, versatile as I change it up every time. Remember, you can steer off this beaten path at any point and mix it up a bit. Perhaps change the macaroni, or the cheese, or add a little cream to it, whatever you want. Maybe add some cubed up ham or even grilled chicken.
- 1/2 box small shells (or vegetable wacky mac is delicious too)
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth w/ 1 tbsp. flour mixed in
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put butternut squash in baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pop in oven & roast 30 mins.
- Boil water and cook macaroni as per the box, draining when done.
- Melt butter in saucepan or deep skillet, Once melted, add in chicken broth, chicken broth and flour mixture and cheeses. Stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove butternut squash from oven and mash using a potato masher.
- Add mashed butternut squash to cheese mixture, stir together, taste and add salt / pepper as needed.
- Add macaroni to mixture and stir together.
- Spray baking dish butternut squash was in with non-stick cooking spray, pour macaroni mixture into pan and place in oven, bake 20 mins. (Top with extra cheese if you would like).